Friday, May 23, 2008

You're dragging me down.

As I was adding cream cheese to my bagel the other day at work, a co-worker praised me for “cooking.”

“That’s a really good idea,” she told me. “I buy a bagel with cream cheese every day and I could just buy the cream cheese at the grocery store – save money.”

It’s logic like this that makes my boyfriend say, “New York – center of the universe, yet so out of touch.”

He’s right - only in Manhattan is grocery shopping considered a novel idea and great way to cut food costs.

But a recent news release from Alliance to Save Energy that boasts money saving tips, like “drive the car that gets better gas mileage” and “avoid idling, which gets 0 mpg,” has me wondering. Maybe people really do need “tips” like this:

“Ditch "junk in the trunk." After your vacation, don't forget to unpack your trunk. An extra 100 pounds in the trunk cuts a typical car's fuel economy by up to 2%. You can save up to 12 gallons of gasoline per year - up to $40 - by removing an extra 100 pounds of unneeded items in the trunk of a car.”

Since we’re on the subject of added pounds, I might consider skipping the cream cheese altogether – lest someone decide that I am the unneeded 100-pound item ruining the gas mileage.

1 comment:

baludec4 said...

Good post. Thanks for share.